In this post we will learn how to How To Install MySQL on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The same procedure can be used for installing MySQL on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
But first lets see What is MySQL :
- MySQL is a very popular, open source database.
- Officially pronounced “my Ess Que Ell” (not my sequel).
- Handles very large databases; very fast performance.
- Why are we using MySQL?
- Free (much cheaper than Oracle!)
- Each student can install MySQL locally.
- Easy to use Shell for creating tables, querying tables, etc.
- Easy to use with Java JDBC
Step 1: Install MySQL
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
While installing MySQL, it will promt you to create a root password . At this stage please select a safe and secure password . Make sure you remember the password, to use it later.