MinGW, a contraction of “Minimalist GNU for Windows”, is a minimalist development environment for native Microsoft Windows applications.
- open http://www.mingw.org/
- Click Download Button as shown in the picture below.
3. As soon as you click download button on mingw website The following page will open in your browser (from the SourceForge.net web site).
4. The following exe file will be downloaded with the name mingw-get-setup.exe
5. Click mingw-get-setup.exe
6. Click install
7. Click continue
8. Click continue
9. The following pop-up window will appear. Pleas make sure that you selected all the check-boxes. e.g. mingw32-base, mingw32-gcc=g++, msys-base and so on.
10. Click on Installation > Apply Changes as shown in the picture below.
11. wait for the process to complete. once you see successful installation message close the window. Click Close.
12. Now we will set environment variable to use gcc and g++ command from terminal.
Windows 10 and Windows 8
- In Search, search for and then select: System (Control Panel)
- Click the Advanced system settings link.
- Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the
PATHenvironment variable and select it. Click Edit. If the
PATHenvironment variable does not exist, click
- In the Edit System Variable (or New System Variable) window, specify the value of the
- Copy C:\MinGW\bin .
- Click OK.
- Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.
- Reopen Command prompt window, and type
gcc. if you see the following output as shown in the picture below the mingw is installed successfully.
Video : How To install MinGW on Windows 10 (GCC & G++)
This is an amazing tutorial, thank you!
This one really helped. I was stuck the part where we have to select and install the library but now its been solved.
This tutorial no longer works!!
This project has stopped
this is the message file that gets downloaded-
This folder contains files that were contributed either internal or
external but are currently not maintained and no plans by the
maintainers to maintain them. You must download the files in this
directory and extract them to the appropriate directories manually. It
is therefore recommended that you do not use these files but they are
provided for historical reasons.
If you wish to take a package and maintain it then please use
email@example.com to convey that fact and the
maintainers will be in touch with you. Contributed packages must
conform to MinGW package standards by using mgwport to do the
Thanks it worked well.
I wanted to work on vscode and use g++ for compiling c++ files through cmd.
Please accept my congrats for your tutorial, and let me a suggestion. It needs updating. Regards.
Thanks, it worked!